The folks at GKIC are the best we know when dealing with marketing advice. Built with the business person in mind.
The crew at GKIC makes learning about marketing interesting, to say the least. This is a great post about building a great lead generation magnet.
9 Steps To Producing An Effective Lead Generation Magnet
By Wil Beyers www.nobsinnercircle.com View Original
Now that you understand the psychology behind the Lead Generation Magnet, and you have all your foundational information in place about your market and so on, it’s time to get down to the nuts and bolts of actually creating your LGM.
In this example we’ll be using an audio recording which comes with a written report, but a lot of the lessons here can be applied to most types of Lead Generation Magnet.
And we won’t sugar-coat this – it’s work.
But to make it easier for you, this workbook contains a very specific step-by-step formula/outline we’ve used to create our LGMs along with some of the standard phrasings. And anyone who does a lot of writing understands that having a solid outline makes writing a whole lot easier.
Here’s a further way to make this more painless:
You won’t be writing a “SCRIPT” for the audio you’ll be recording, instead, we’re going to have you create an outline of bullet points that you will speak to.
Many business owners have a tendency to “freeze up” when they sit down to write. As soon they start typing, a whirlwind of thoughts rain down – stuff like, “you need to write PROPER ENGLISH” and “don’t end a sentence with a preposition” and “there’s no such thing as a one word sentence” and on and on and on.
Plus there’s that nasty internal editor who rules your subconscious who hangs on every word, making it seem like NOTHING you write is any good.
This is not conducive to great writing. Or fast writing. Or both. (Writing fast is great writing btw…)
So what we instead want you to do is fill in the blanks in the different steps with bullet points that you can simply talk to when the recording starts. That’s all. You know your stuff. You know your customer. You know your story. Just tell it.
Then… after it’s recorded… go have it transcribed and put into hard-copy report form. Are you relieved? Good. Now let’s get started…
Step 1: Create the Opening
Introduce who you are, who this is for, and what to expect from the recording. You want to get them excited about listening / reading … reaffirm they made a great decision to grab this LGM. As you’ll see in each of these steps, we’ve included some boilerplate text you can use as a starting point AND places where you’ll enter your own specific information.
Hi there – my name is [NAME and TITLE] and welcome to:
[NAME OF LEAD GENERATION MAGNET]
Congratulations on making the wise decision to get this valuable information. This is presentation is for you if you:
[DESCRIBE WHO THIS IS FOR… E.G., MEN OVER 40 WONDERING WHETHER THEIR FAMILIES WOULD BE PROTECTED IF SOMETHING HAPPENED… ETC.]
During the next [X] minutes I’m going to share with exactly how to:
[AND SO ON…]
When we’re done, I promise you’ll [DESCRIBE THE TRANSFORMATION THEY’LL EXPERIENCE BY OVERCOMING THESE CHALLENGES].
Now make sure you have a pen and a pad of paper ready so you can take notes, because I’m going to be sharing with you lots of important tips and strategies and you don’t want to miss any of them. If you’re at your computer, you can take notes on your computer as well.
Let me warn though, if you’re at your computer, don’t surf the internet, don’t check your email, pay close attention because any one tip or strategy I’m going to share could [PROVIDE A BIG BENEFIT TO PROSPECT] and you absolutely don’t want to miss it.
Step 2: Address Skepticism Right Off the Bat
This is important. You need to establish your credibility right off the bat to reaffirm that they should spend the time listening. We live in a very skeptical age and the core question you need to address runs something like this:
“If this info was so good, and you’re so good, how come you’re giving it away for free?” That’s what you want to address and put to rest right away.
I think there are probably a lot of skeptical people listening now. I can understand that. You may be wondering why I’m revealing this information if it’s so good?
Well, it goes like this.
I realized that I’m a good XXXXXX and I’m an even better teacher. That’s where my passion really lies; it lies in teaching and in helping people. And I can’t possibly help all the people in the world that need help with [INSERT THE KEY CHALLENGES HERE].
In fact, I feel like I’m doing a huge disservice by NOT getting this information out there because when people go in and meet with [PROSPECT TYPE] and see them struggling with [CHALLENGES], that’s doing a disservice to the people who really need a lot of help.
So I just want to get all this information out there so I can make a positive impact on far more people than I could ever do 1-1 over and over again.
Step 3: Tell Your Story
Here’s where you continue to address skepticism by describing what’s in your background that qualifies you to be “the expert.” You don’t have to spend a long time on this, but it should be long enough so that people feel like they know you a bit at least.
Now if you don’t have a personal story, you can use a case study of someone else who’s gone through the same thing. But you MUST have a story!!! People love stories and you’ll get immediate attention if you have one!!!
The OUTLINE of your story goes like this:
- Worked hard
- Almost quit
- Discovered secret/Created system
- Life changed dramatically for the better.
Here is where you tell the most emotional rendition of the problem you are trying to solve or the “desire” you are trying to fulfill. Talk about how your life was better when the problem was solved. Really lay on the benefits here. For example:
- We just didn’t have enough referrals coming in from our existing customers.
- We tried all sorts of things, but the results were always the same – pathetic.
- Then we realized, it wasn’t asking, it was knowing WHO we ask and then using that info to structure HOW we ask. Referrals then went through the roof!
You don’t introduce any product yet…you’re just hitting the prospect with benefits and getting them to imagine would it would be like to have the problem solved!
I opened up to you about all this because I wanted you to know this is something I’m familiar with personally. Which is important because a lot of people out there, as you know, who teach but never have done. So we’re going to learn the real practical stuff, no theory here.
Okay, let’s talk about exactly what to do.
Step 4: Describe the Steps People Need to Do
Lay out the core elements of your solution, primarily telling folks WHAT to do, not HOW to do it. Give them real information organized by the key components of your program.
Okay, let’s get down to brass tacks now. I’m going to give you just a quick overview and then we’ll go ahead and break each part into detail.
[EXPLAIN THE 3-5 THINGS YOU NEED TO DO TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS – AND IT ALL REQUIRES A SYSTEM]
First of all you need….
[DESCRIBE THE FIRST THING THEY NEED TO DO]
[DESCRIBE THE NEXT THING THEY NEED TO DO]
[CONTINUE UNTIL THE FINAL STEP]
Finally, you’ll have the perfect system to [SOLVE THE PROBLEM], which I know for many other XXXXX and especially for me it was a really difficult thing to do…. But not any more since I have this system!
Step 5: End the Report with the Call to Action
Explain how your system addresses EVERYTHING you said people need to do in Section 4 and call them to action to buy now!
Now of course you’re probably saying to yourself – “that sounds great, but can I do this myself / will it work for me / what do I do next?”
Here’s what you need to do now:
[DESCRIBE EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO NEXT… MOST LIKELY, READ THE LETTER INCLUDED WITH THIS REPORT THAT DESCRIBES THE PERFECT SOLUTION… BUT IT COULD BE CALL, EMAIL, GO TO WEBSITE, WHATEVER.]
Step 6: Review Your Script / Outline
Review what you’ve drafted to make sure it has all the content necessary. Don’t worry about punctuation and grammar – you’re creating an outline that you’ll be speaking to and recording, NOT a final polished report.
Now would be a great time to do a read through / practice run – go through it, speaking aloud just as you would if you were laying this out to someone sitting across the table from you. In doing so, you will catch stuff you missed, overlooked, and also give you confidence that you can do this without a hitch. Make any corrections you think necessary and get ready to record.
Step 7: Record Your LGM
Now that you’ve done your dry run, it’s time to actually record the audio. Don’t worry – you don’t need a fancy studio setup or any of that. If you have a PC and a Microphone you can do this – for a very inexpensive solution to manage recordings go to http://www.audioacrobat.com and use their service for a month.
Here’s the exact process we’ve used over and again:
- Buy a Wired Headset Microphone, available at any Office Depot, Office Max, etc…Notice I said wired, not wireless.
- Sometimes you get interference when you use a wireless microphone. You CAN use the microphone built into your laptop (most do now) but the quality won’t be as good.
- Buy Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio or another type of software so you can record onto your computer. Or use Audio Acrobat as mentioned earlier. Or you can even get a great free audio editor at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
- Hook your microphone into your computer. We didn’t want to leave that step out. We told you this was going to be step-by-step.
- Test and make sure you are recording. Don’t skip this step! You don’t want to record the entire audio and discover that you actually DIDN’T record the audio… that is not a pretty feeling.
- Eliminate as much as possible ALL external noise. Turn off the ringers on your phone. Turn the air conditioning off. Ask not to be disturbed. You don’t want to have to do a lot of editing. If there’s a little bit of noise on or you cough or something like that, don’t worry about it. Just keep going. People don’t care. They don’t care. They really don’t. But if the doorbell rings or the phone rings, then you’ve got to stop and go back and start from where you left off. Then you have to get it edited to make it sound decent.
- Stand or sit up straight and start recording. I stand up when I’m recording. Again – talk as if you are talking to your best friend sitting across the table from you. Remember, you’re not talking to a group; you’re talking to a single person. So picture your ideal client in your mind – that’s who you’re talking to. Don’t worry about minor mistakes. Again, if you stumble over a word, stutter a little bit or say the wrong word, nobody cares. Good enough is good enough!
- Save your Audio as an MP3 file to a location you can easily find it again.
- Create a label for your CD. Use a graphic designer for this and make it look nice. A great way to do this inexpensively is using a service like www.fiverr.com.
- Send the audio file to a fulfillment house to get duplicated on CD or upload the MP3 to your website. There are dozens if not hundreds of sites that provide this service, such as www.kunaki.com
Step 8: Get the Audio Transcribed and Create the Report
Now you’re going to produce the report that goes with the audio – this requires a few more steps, but the heavy lifting has already been done.
- Send the audio MP3 file to our preferred transcription vendor. They’ll turn it around pretty quickly and get you a WORD document version of your talk.
- Go through the transcribed report and edit for style and appearance. Your content may be good but if it looks like it’s difficult to read, people won’t read it. You want to use subheads, bold printing, underline key phrases, italicize certain words.
- Have someone else edit it. You’ve read it so many times that you think you’re reading the whole thing but you’re not. Let somebody else proofread it. Ask them to read it out loud. If all else fails, you read it out loud.
- Create a cover. Typically this will have the title, your picture and contact information. Again, use a graphic designer you know or a service like Fiverr for this. You’ll want this cover to match with the CD Label so there’s a consistent look.
Step 9: Put Everything Together
You’ve now got your Audio CD done AND your associated Report done. Congratulations! You are MILES ahead of everyone else in your market as you now have a KILLER Lead Generation Magnet package that uniquely positions you and sets you apart from everyone else!